Transform Your Stairs!


Have I ever told you before that I hate carpet? I mean, I cannot stand the stuff. It is nasty, it holds dust and allergens, it takes like five years to off gas all of the chemicals used to make it (including formaldehyde!), and it stains and molds. It's nasty and our house is full of it.

So, along with my disgust of carpeting comes my lovely dog. We have three dogs, actually. One dog, however, is a nervous pee pot. He will get up in the morning, run down the stairs and have a small accident on each. and. every. step. I don't know about you, but after he did it the first time I realized that it is near impossible to clean carpeted stairs. They are almost impossible to vacuum, let alone "clean" stains off of. Since we finished our eat in area in the family room, I am on a remodel kick. I want to rip out all of our carpet and put in the hardwood that we selected for the eat in area. Since that isn't currently in the budget, I have to settle. We will eventually replace all 2400 square feet of carpet, until then I decided to work on this....

Dark, dingy, ugly, stained, and you would not believe the dust!! It was so disgusting, I wish I would have snapped more photos. Anyway, I told my dear, dear husband that we should rip up the carpet. He went straight to work, it took no bribing! I think maybe he hates carpet more than I do! We had a pretty good idea that our stairs were hardwood underneath because the bottom four steps had the edges exposed and stained. We took a leap of faith and started tearing it up. As we started working I started wondering why people carpet stairs, I soon gave up. 
We started by ripping up the carpet, we used a box cutter to cut it out in manageable sections. Then, we pulled up the padding. Then, I cursed the person who thought it a good idea to put carpet on the stairs. The amount of staples and tack strips on our stairway were absolutely astonishing. The tack strips weren't that bad to pull up, but the staples were a bit of a challenge. We used pliers to rip them out.
Finally, we hard bare, never touched (other than the edges of those few bottom steps) beautiful oak stairs. 
You can see the little bit of stain on the side of that one step. They were gorgeous, aside from the over spray where they painted the molding and got it on the stairs. So, the next fun step began. We decided to remove the banister and the spindles. Easier to sand, easier to stain, and easier to paint. I will say, I rarely agree with painting real wood. I think it is a horrible move, however, I love the look of the painted spindles and risers on stairs. It gives it so much dimension. So, we took it all out and ended up with this. We left the handrail. We have two small children, they need it. Two small kids, three dogs, I must be out of my mind....
Then, we went through and sanded everything down. It was messy. It was time consuming, It was well worth it. Then, we went through and stained every other step. We used Minwax Deep Red Mahogany. Then, after we stained we coated everything with polyurethane in a semi-gloss. We went every other step, finished those, then did the other set. And wound up with this....


After that, I taped everything off to primer and paint. It took almost an entire roll of tape, it took me almost two hours just to tape and it still leaked!! 

I primered, I painted with Valspar antique white (my new favorite shade of white) then, I took all that paint off to reveal this...
So much better, brighter and more distinctive!! I am so happy with this project and it cost me exactly $0. I already had everything on hand, so it required no extra money out of pocket! Now, that is a project. Next up, new wall paint colors. I will update photos when I get it painted! Doesn't it look like a different stairway?! Craziness. 
I love to hear from my readers! Please share if you have done a project like this or would like to!