Living Without: Commercial Cleaning Products


I used to have a cleaning chemical (product) for everything. My under sink cabinet was stocked full of bad for you, burn your nose chemicals to make my home clean and germ free. I was cleaning out the cabinet one day and perusing through Pinterest and found some great homemade products to try.


I currently, happily, have five bottles of homemade cleaning products under my sink in the kitchen add in one bottle of Murphy's Oil Soap and Dawn  and I'm a happy gal. I still buy Murphy's. I've always bought it, it is 98% natural, they place it into post consumer recycled plastic and it is the only thing on the planet I trust my wood floors and furniture to. Is there something out there I could make? Probably, but for now I choose to purchase it.

Anyway, off of my soapbox and back to what today is all about! Commercially produced household chemicals. They are bad for you. The fumes they emit are awful. I can't say I personally find my house smelling "clean" after I've scoured my sinks tubs and toilets with all kinds of chemicals. I've said it before, and it bears repeating. There are things in your home that you keep around regularly for cooking and whatnot that clean wonderfully.

Nothing can beat some baking soda, vinegar, and lemons. Lemons have natural antibacterial properties. They smell good. They are good for you. They are pretty :). I also use borax, washing soda, and a few other things. I have found a multitude of recipes online for cleaning products. The options are limitless. Look up recipe for homemade blah blah and you will find one.

I have a window cleaner, all-purpose cleaner, a surface cleaner, a bleach alternative cleanser, and a furniture polish under my kitchen sink. In the laundry area, I have homemade laundry detergent, stain remover, and vinegar. In my bathrooms, I keep a bottle of vinegar and a box of baking soda. I can put the mixture in to clean my toilets, and use baking soda paste as a "soft scrub". You can also use hydrogen peroxide to aid in the removal of mold and mildew.

I keep "extras" to make my homemade products in the garage. I have a shelf I put them up there and keep them out of my way until I need them. Also, when you make your own, you will find that generally you need to use much less product to achieve the results you need, resulting in quite a bit in the "extras" department! Less use equates less damage to the environment and your pocket book. So, not only is making your own household cleaners better for you and your family, it is better for the Earth and your budget! I can't see a reason not to try!

I am so much happier without all of those added cleansers under my sink. If I have a need for something specific, I google it or look on pinterest. I always find what I need and while it may take a recipe or two to find the right fit, it is well worth the effort. As for the future, I hope to ramp up my Essential Oil supplies and get some glass bottles and start using those to make household cleansers as well! I hope this post has encouraged you to ditch the commercial products and make your own!

I love to hear from my readers! How about you? Do you make your own household cleaners? Do you think it is worth the effort? Have a recipe or link to share? Please do! Thanks for reading!!