Pumpkin Pie Playdough


My kids live for playdough. If they could have it all day every day, they would go for it. I'm all for it, too, as it is a fantastic fine motor skill developer. However, I'm not all for whatever in the heck is in it. I don't really know, but the commercials bother me "fun to play with, not to eat!" Really?

So, off I went on a mission to find a playdough recipe that was safe for my kids. This recipe is made with all natural, edible, ingredients and smells good enough to eat!!

Pumpkin Pie Playdough
Pumpkin Pie Playdough1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Salt
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
Optional Food Coloring (see note)

Combine all ingredients in a 2 quart pot. Stir over medium heat until a big ball forms. Dough will be smooth and no longer sticky, takes 5 minutes tops. Allow it to cool a minute and viola!

Note: If you want to color your dough, add the color to the pot when you add the rest of the ingredients. I halved, and even quartered, the recipe to make several different colors. Remember, the color will be slightly darker when the dough is done "cooking".

*You can knead food coloring into the already cooked dough, but I had a disastrous outcome:

and the dough was "brown" after cooking so the color wasn't near what I wanted after I got done making a huge mess. I definitely recommend adding the color to the pot :). *

Like this post? Want more? Consider following dreams by clicking one of the nifty buttons below or up at the top! 
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor and the statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.