Glazed Pumpkin Coffee Cake


I was hunting around one day and found this gorgeous looking cake at Pretty Good Food last year. It wasn't pumpkin season, and I wanted to try it. I waited for a looong time and made it last fall. When I made it the first time, I bought the traditional box-o-whatever cake mix. I decided there had to be a way to make this but had not attempted to make a cake mix of my own yet. It is super simple to do, I'm just lazy and wasn't real into baking cakes, so I hadn't missed it. I have since then grown to love baking homemade baked goods from scratch and found my own cake mixes.

I adapted this cake to use my own from-scratch ingredients instead of the boxed stuff. It is 10 million times better with the homemade "cake mix." I wouldn't trade this new and improved version for the boxed version ever. Bonus... it really doesn't take any longer!!

I hope you enjoy this cake as much as we have, don't be afraid to try it. It is sweet and a little on the rich side, but it is so good. We made it several times last year and I've already baked it twice this year! Here goes!!

Glazed Pumpkin Coffee Cake

For The Cake:
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/3 Cup Milk
15 oz Pumpkin Puree (NOT pie filling!)
2 Eggs
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 teaspoon Baking Soda

For The Topping:
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Flour
4 Tablespoons Butter (Melted)

For The Glaze:
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

1/4 Cup Whipping Cream

Preheat oven to 350. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9X13 pan.

Mix together milk, pumpkin, eggs, 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl until combined. Add 2 Cups flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and the baking powder to the mix. Stir until combined. Pour into pan.

Now, mix together the topping by melting the butter in a small pan and stirring in 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup of flour. It will make a streusel like topping. Sprinkle this onto the top of the cake, lightly press it into the top, if you want. It isn't necessary, but I do....

Bake the cake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when placed into the center. Don't over bake, it won't be near as moist.

Meanwhile, the last 5 minutes or so of bake time, go ahead and make your glaze. Place the cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 cup of sugar, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar into a small sauce pan. Stirring continually, heat over low-medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved. It will look like a nice pretty glaze.

Pull your cake out of the oven and do the toothpick test. Go ahead and keep your toothpick and poke holes all over your cake. Go to town on it! Now, once you have bludgeoned your cake with your toothpick (make sure it still looks pretty, don't kill it ;)), pour that pretty glaze you just made all over the top of it.

This cake is best served warm, but it isn't bad cool. Store it tightly covered and away from the ants that have decided to take up residence on your kitchen counter because of cooler weather.... Not that it has happened to me or anything, I wouldn't know what that's like ;). Anyway, warm it up before you eat if you want, or don't. It is a nice dish in the morning with some coffee (hence the name) but it is also good as an after dinner treat. I hope you enjoy!!


Does this post make your mouth water? Do you want some more?? Consider following me with one of those nifty buttons below!